Have you ever thrown up a website, managed to get some traffic, but failed to make any affiliate sales?
That was me in the beginning. I had no clue what I was doing. I only knew that I was angry because I had worked so hard just to see $0 in my affiliate account.
An extremely large part in getting affiliate sales is writing effective presell copy, which essentially warms up your reader to the product you are recommending.
The more you love the product you’re selling, the higher your chances of making a sale. People can sense if you’re genuine and honest, so please don’t take shortcuts.
I promise you, it will come back and bite you, hard. There are a lot of potential problems if you’re not making sales, but in this article we’ll focus on writing awesome presell copy.
5 Ways to Make Your Presell Copy Rock
This is by no means a complete list, but if you’re completely new at this, it’s a good start. I don’t want to overwhelm you by throwing all sorts of unnecessary details at you.
I’m by no means an expert in copywriting, but I do think I’m somewhat okay at writing presell copy. I could be wrong of course.
1. Underlying Emotion. What do your visitors really want? If you’re recommending a skin care product, the underlying emotion might be the potential to attract a soul mate, feeling accepted and getting validation. Now, everyone is different, so you can’t nail them all, but at the same time, you can’t generalize because it simply doesn’t work.
2. Objections. What objections do people usually have? Sticking with the skin care creams, they might be something like how there are so many skin creams out there, why should they buy this one? Is it another product that will be a waste of their money? Address the objections right away. Ignoring them will only make things worse.
3. Proof. What proof do you have that the recommendation you’re making will help your reader? Have you had any results with it yourself? The most powerful proof is if you make a video telling how you benefited from the product. Think about what you yourself would want to see. I personally love seeing genuine recommendations on video and hearing about someone’s story.
4. Personality. The more you can add your personality and your story into the recommendation, the more powerful your presell copy will be and the higher your conversions will be (i.e. you will sell more). This might mean before and after pictures, video and whatever else you can come up with.
5. Disqualify. You might be afraid of telling who the product is not for. After all, you want as many to buy as possible, right? Well not really. When you disqualify people that it is not right for, you are helping them and making the people who really need it more excited, because they are getting further confirmation that it will help them.
Our Way of Looking at Selling
I used to believe that selling something was distasteful. Recently I figured out that this was completely backwards.
Inaccurate beliefs like this are dangerous. Once I noticed it, I realized what was wrong and changed to something like this: selling something that doesn’t improve or help the customer is distasteful.
Sounds a bit better, doesn’t it? If I have something amazing for you that could change your life, wouldn’t you want me to write at least okay sales or presell copy to get you interested?
Somehow we learn that selling and money is bad, so we get caught up in this loop of wanting money, but thinking that it’s bad.
Suspend that little voice in your head and just move forward. Promote good products that improve lives and you’ll be well on your way.