“It is the great north wind that made the vikings.” – Scandinavian Proverb
Have you noticed that your life doesn’t always turn out the way you want?
In fact, more often than not, you don’t get what you want.
Or.. You don’t get what you think you want.
This is a good thing.
It’s life nudging you in the right direction.
It’s life showing you where you need to grow, and what you need to release, to become the person you are meant to be.
The problem then isn’t that life is hard, but something entirely different.
But before we get to that, let’s ask ourselves an important question.
Why is Life So Hard?
It’s hard because:
- You think it’s hard.
- Your expectations are out of alignment with reality.
- You’re not following what makes your heart sing.
There are times when I feel like I want to give up. I feel like the universe is against me.
I just want to leave everything. I dream about the freedom I would have if I didn’t have to do anything.
But then I remember something.
I remember that I’m doing what I’m doing because I’ve chosen this. I’m living my passion. I’ve chosen to follow the magnetic pull of life. That doesn’t mean it’s always easy.
I’ve also discovered to not take myself seriously when I have a bad day. The way it works for me is that I’ll feel a tight feeling in my chest. Sometimes I feel emotional, sometimes overwhelmed, sometimes life just seems blah.
That then gives rise to thoughts that reflect what I’m feeling. I start looking at my business and life. I start searching for problems that I can fix.
In the past, I would chase these phantoms, thinking that fixing something would alleviate my inner turmoil.
Today, I take a step back.
I relax, I watch a movie, I meditate, and I remember to breathe. And I know that this too will pass, and it does.
The Art of Living Life – 4 Tips
If you want to live a happy life, you have to be okay with being unhappy.
Life goes up and down. You experience joy, and you experience pain. This is life. And this is okay.
You don’t need to hold on so tight. You don’t have to make life do what you think you want.
In short, you have to let go of wanting to control everything.
Here are four effective tips for when you feel like life is against you:
- Realize that life is full of challenges. It will constantly throw new problems at you. This is good. It’s exciting. If it didn’t happen, you’d stop growing and life would become bland. Just look at the people who’ve given up on life and settled for comfort. They’re bored out of their mind.
- Examine your expectations. Do you expect amazing results even when you’re a complete beginner at something? If you’re just starting to uncover your passion and build your business, expect trouble, and go at your own pace. Trust your inner authority.
- Remember that happiness comes from the inside. It’s not up to life or anyone outside of you to make you happy. You make yourself happy or unhappy through the thoughts you believe. Why do you think people experience the same event in different ways? It’s an inside job. I’m not saying control your thoughts. I’m saying relax, and let the dance do its thing.
- Surround yourself with like-minded people. I created the Lifestyle Liberation Academy because I saw over and over again how much people struggled when they didn’t have support. So make sure you surround yourself with positive, friendly people who have the same goals as you do. It doesn’t matter whether it’s online or offline.
Life doesn’t always turn out the way you want, but so what?
It doesn’t matter. Every time something “goes wrong” is a reminder that you need to take a break and look inside.
Why are you suffering? Why do you believe the stories your mind weaves?
Embrace the Unplanned Life
As Joseph Campbell once said:
“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.”
When I let go of how I think life should be, and listen to my heart, I open myself up to what’s right here, right now.
Here’s a short video on the power of living an unplanned life:
The Bottom Line
When life doesn’t go your way, look at what it’s trying to tell you.
Are you going after what you truly want, or are you living life on someone else’s terms? When you start following your heart, your life will change.
This doesn’t mean things will be easy. If anything, life sometimes gets harder, because you have to face your inner demons.
You have to go against the status quo.
But you don’t have to try and get somewhere, or become someone to feel good. Everything is fine and dandy in its messiness.
You’re on a journey. You will always keep growing, evolving, falling flat on your face, and learning.
The key then is not to try and fix life, but to learn to relate to life in a new way.
You are not meant to understand life. You are meant to live it.
All the best,
P.S. Would you like to learn more about following the magnetic pull of life? Check out my popular book Follow Your Heart: 21 Days to a Happier, More Fulfilling Life.