“It is the great north wind that made the vikings.” – Scandinavian Proverb
Have you noticed that your life doesn’t always turn out the way you want?
In fact, more often than not, you don’t get what you want.
Or.. You don’t get what you think you want.
This is a good thing.
It’s life nudging you in the right direction.
It’s life showing you where you need to grow, and what you need to release, to become the person you are meant to be.
The problem then isn’t that life is hard, but something entirely different.
But before we get to that, let’s ask ourselves an important question.
Why is Life So Hard?
It’s hard because:
- You think it’s hard.
- Your expectations are out of alignment with reality.
- You’re not following what makes your heart sing.
There are times when I feel like I want to give up. I feel like the universe is against me.
I just want to leave everything. I dream about the freedom I would have if I didn’t have to do anything.
But then I remember something.
I remember that I’m doing what I’m doing because I’ve chosen this. I’m living my passion. I’ve chosen to follow the magnetic pull of life. That doesn’t mean it’s always easy.
And if I look deeper, have I really chosen this, or is this simply how life is expressing itself through me?
I am made up of my personality, programming, and other factors that I never had any control over. All of it has culminated in what I am today.
Seeing this allows me to relax into the present moment.
In the past, I would try to change everything, but as I’ve grown older, I’ve softened. I’ve begun to see that perhaps I do not have as much control as I think I do.
This allows “me” to sit back, and enjoy the ride, even when life seems to be falling apart.
The Art of Living Life – 4 Tips
The below four tips are not something you have to do. They are things that I’ve stumbled across, and that I somehow found myself doing.
So, read them, and let your body and mind determine if you do them or not.
Do you notice how you begin to relax as you let go of the control you never had?
Life goes up and down. We all experience joy and pain. This is life. This is okay.
You don’t need to hold on so tight. You don’t have to make life do what you think you want.
Sometimes you change your life, and sometimes you don’t.
In short, let go of wanting to control everything.
Here are four effective tips for when you feel like life is against you:
- Realize that life is full of challenges. It will constantly throw new problems at you, new fears to overcome. This is good. It’s exciting. If it didn’t happen, you’d stop growing and life would become bland. Just look at the people who’ve given up on life and settled for comfort. They may be comfortable, but they are not fulfilled.
- Examine your expectations. Do you expect amazing results even when you’re a complete beginner at something? If you’re just starting to uncover your passion and build your business, expect trouble, and go at your own pace. Trust your inner authority. Follow what resonates.
- Remember that happiness comes from the inside. It’s not up to life or anyone outside of you to make you happy. You make yourself happy or unhappy through the thoughts you believe. Why do you think people experience the same event in different ways? It’s an inside job. I’m not saying control your thoughts. I’m saying relax, and let the dance do its thing.
- Surround yourself with like-minded people. Sometimes you outgrow your friends. This often happens when you begin to change. It’s okay. Surround yourself with positive, friendly people as much as you can. It doesn’t matter whether it’s online or offline.
Life doesn’t always turn out the way you want, but that’s okay.
It doesn’t matter. Every time something “goes wrong” is a reminder that you need to take a break and look inside.
Why are you suffering? Why do you believe the stories your mind weaves?
Embrace the Unplanned Life
As Joseph Campbell once said:
“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.”
When I let go of how I think life should be, and listen to my heart, I open myself up to what’s right here, right now.
Here’s a short video on the power of living an unplanned life:
The Bottom Line
When life doesn’t go your way, look at what it’s trying to tell you.
Are you going after what you truly want, or are you living life on someone else’s terms? When you start following your heart, your life will change.
This doesn’t mean things will be easy. If anything, life sometimes gets harder, because you have to face your inner demons.
You have to go against the status quo.
But you don’t have to try and get somewhere, or become someone to feel good. Everything is fine and dandy in its messiness.
You’re on a journey. You will always keep growing, evolving, falling flat on your face, and learning.
The key then is not to try and fix life, but to learn to relate to life in a new way.
You are not meant to understand life. You are meant to live it.
And remember, you are not in control of how you use the information in this article.
Let your body and brain decide what resonates and what doesn’t, because that’s what they’ve always done.
Let go of the steering wheel, and notice that you were never in the driver’s seat to begin with.
P.S. Would you like to learn more about following the magnetic pull of life? Check out my popular book Follow Your Heart: 21 Days to a Happier, More Fulfilling Life.