“A goal without a plan is just a wish.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
The next three, things started taking off.
And in the last year or two, everything has shifted.
The way I think about running my business has changed dramatically.
I’ve changed my focus from tactics to strategy.
I no longer focus on just selling an ebook, but instead building a solid business.
However, please keep in mind that this doesn’t give you the license to try to get things perfect, because you won’t.
We all have to start somewhere . And in this article, I share what’s going on with me and my business right now.
When I started my online journey way back in 2006, I was scared.
I wanted to be anonymous and just make a few dollars. I wanted to live my life quietly in the shadows.
And this mindset has plagued me for years. Even when I started Wake Up Cloud, I was afraid of really putting everything into it.
I was afraid of failure. And I was afraid of success.
I wrote a few ebooks, I wrote articles, but I didn’t want to share what I truly believed in, because I didn’t want to make enemies.
But all of that has changed in the past year.
My business and life is constantly evolving. And I enjoy sharing what I discover with you, because the more I grow, the more I can help you grow.
So what’s the big shift in all of this?
The Big Lesson
The big lesson is to think bigger.
And once you think bigger, to think even bigger, because I know I’m nowhere near where I could be.
It’s hard to put this lesson into just one word or concept, but the lesson I’m talking about is a blend of:
- Thinking Big. It’s having the courage to think big. To set an audacious goal and then go after it. It’s embracing being uncomfortable. And moving forward anyway. It’s about growing as a human being, and it’s about creating more value in the world.
- Clarity. It’s also about clarity. About knowing where I want to go, who I want to help, and how I want to do that. This doesn’t happen by analyzing. It happens through doing. And I’ve been at this for many, many years now.
- Commitment. And finally, it’s about commitment. It’s about thinking HOW, instead of WHY NOT. This is not about if I’m going to get better, but about how I’m going to do it. It will take the time it takes. I will be afraid. I will be scared. But I will keep going.
This is about taking things to the next level.
The Impact on My Business and Life
Making this shift has rippled all throughout my life, because how you do something is how you do everything.
I’ve started looking at my online business as a real business instead of just trying to make a few dollars.
By taking things to the next level, I’m enjoying my life more. I can do more. I can be with Vincent more. I can grow more.
Here are three ways this has impacted the rest of my life:
- Cartooning. I’m learning to draw. When I was about 7 years old, I remember trying to draw. I got so frustrated I threw the paper and my pens on the floor. I didn’t think I was good enough. But drawing is just another skill, and I’m learning it. It’s not easy, but I’m getting better each day, because I’m putting in the work.
- Getting Fit. In the past 12 months, I’ve lost over 20lbs, and I wasn’t fat to begin with. So I’ve gone from looking okay to looking really good, if I may say so, all because of the shifts I’ve made.
- Income. My income has shifted from niche websites to Wake Up Cloud and doing more of the work I feel passionate about doing. I’m working as an editor for one of the biggest personal development blogs, Dumb Little Man. And I’m creating products and courses that help people increase the freedom in their life.
With all that said, how does this impact you?
Why Should You Care?
You should care because deep down you know you want to do something greater.
You feel called to do something with your life. To share you’re gifts.
But you’re not sure where to even start.
You’re afraid that you’ll fail. You’re afraid of the same things that I was (and still am), because we’re all human beings.
So here’s one question I’d like you to consider:
How Can You Think BIGGER?
Grab a pen + paper and write down your biggest goal when it comes to building your business and/or creating the lifestyle you want.
Then brainstorm what your next smallest steps would be to make it happen. Taking action toward this goal should feel uncomfortable.
It should feel scary.
But breaking it down into tiny steps should make it bearable and actionable.